Shoe Boxes For Christmas
Three years ago The University Women’s Club of North York participated in The Shoebox Project for the first time as our local initiative in the CFUW national theme of Violence Against Women. We had no idea what the response would be and were thrilled with the level of participation from our club members. We filled 87 shoeboxes and arranged for them to go to two North York shelters. Last year we collected 64. This year our 80 shoe boxes were delivered to the Pregnancy Care Centre to be given to women who are facing unplanned pregnancies, seeking confidential information and caring support.
We wish to express our deep appreciation to the many members who contributed not 1 but 2 and 3 shoe boxes filled with items that might have been chosen as gifts for our mother or sister.
We are proud to announce that our club received this award for excellence in advocacy for 2016-2017. We are one of four Ontario clubs to receive this award.
Our projects are many and varied. Here are some of the things that we have accomplished in the last year:
- Donated over $1,000 to the North York Women’s Shelter
- Prepared 80 boxes of gifts for the Shoebox Project
- Donated $435 to the CFUW Charitable Trust December 6 Fund
- Collected socks, mittens, and adult scarves for Sanctuary, a downtown shelter
- Raised almost $400 for MATCH International Women’s Fund
- Raised over $2,000 for the 2017 White Ribbon Campaign “Walk a Mile in her Shoes”