NATIONAL INITIATIVE ON VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
A University Women’s Club North York Proposal
CFUW 16 Days, 16 Actions: from November 25, International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women (CEDAW), to December 10, International Human Rights Day we are suggesting 225 (our membership numbers) actions.
Just one phone call is all we ask.
On November 14th Employment and Social Development Minister Patty Hajdu tabled Bill C65 in Parliament. The bill addresses Federal Workplace Harassment.
We know that our news is overrun with more and more revelations of sexual harassment and sexual violence by those in power over women. This is a critical first step in addressing this concern from federal workplaces to local bank branches. It is a beginning to address the full range of unacceptable behaviours from bullying to sexual violence.
We ask you to call your own MP and ask him or her to support this bill. We owe this to ourselves, our daughters and our granddaughters.
We thank you.
For the third year, our club will participate in the Shoebox Project, which distributes gift boxes to local shelters and other agencies that are part of this project. Please bring your completed shoe boxes to our November General Meeting.
As always, there is no obligation to participate in this project. It is entirely voluntary and simply a way of supporting our community for those who wish to do so.
Thank you to Club members Margaret Bernardo and Jennifer Cooke who will pack and deliver the boxes directly to the Pregnancy Care Centre located at Bathurst St. and Sheppard Ave. Staff will distribute these gift boxes close to Christmas.
How to Prepare a Shoebox:
Decorate your empty Shoebox
- Please wrap the top and bottom of the Shoebox separately. Shoeboxes can’t be sealed shut. If you have trouble, watch a tutorial.
- Don’t have enough empty Shoeboxes lying around? Consider picking up decorative boxes from a dollar store or craft store.
- Please use standard sized Shoeboxes, not oversized boot boxes or child-sized boxes. We want everyone to receive a gift similar in size and value.
- Use good quality paper and avoid using bows and intricate ribbon. Boxes are usually stacked on top of one another.
Tip: Shoeboxes that come in two-pieces are much easier to wrap then the one-piece boxes with lids that fold over.
Fill your Shoebox
- Each Shoebox must be valued at approx. $50 – see suggested items below!
- Consider lining the Shoeboxes with tissue paper for a more polished, elegant look.
- Don’t overstuff your box; make sure the lid fits on properly and doesn’t pop off.
- Avoid including items that are overly delicate to avoid anything getting broken.
Tip: The high quality of our gifts is an important element that sets The Shoebox Project apart from other donations the shelters receive throughout the year. Select only items that you would like to receive as a gift or items that you might purchase for your mother or a close friend.
Suggested Items to Include:
- Something warm: socks, mitts, scarf, hat
- Something sweet: chocolate and candy (no nuts, not alcohol-filled)
- Cough drops, multivitamins
- Body or hand lotion, soaps, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
- Brush, comb, shampoo, conditioner
- Nail polish, mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, lip balm
- Purse-sized kleenex, small cosmetic bag
- Gift cards (Tim Hortons, Shoppers, McDonalds, etc.) Please write the amount on the card or include the receipt
- Subway tokens and bus tickets
- Journals, colouring books and pencils, pens
- Anonymous supportive message
Please DO NOT include:
- Used goods or hotel samples
- Sized clothing (i.e. S, M, L, XL)
- Mouthwash or hand-sanitizers with alcohol
- Bubble bath or bath bombs; most shelters don’t have bathtubs
- Candles or books
- Foundations, concealers or perfume
- Razors or Feminine hygiene products
- Jumbo-sized containers
- Anything opened or not packaged
If you wish to contribute to this project, but don’t want to donate a complete Shoebox, please purchase items from the Suggested Items List that could be added to a box. Bring your items to the November meeting.
For further information go to the Shoebox Project website.
Our Walk a Mile in her Shoes team
University Women’s Club of North York members participated in the Walk a Mile in her Shoes Campaign on May 31, 2017 and raised over $2000. A great cause.